Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Grocery List for 10 Day Challenge . . .

Here is a grocery list if the long lists of meals seems too overwhelming to breakdown.


Okay - I need every one to understand that the meals that are listed for the 10 Day Challenge are ideas to keep it interesting and for balance. If you DO NOT buy some of the things listed then replace it was something similar. The "1 slice of pizza" meal, is really if you are having a pizza night, or if you go to a place that sells pizza by the slice, get a small slice and make it veggie if possible. One recipe calls for "one hard boiled egg," I just add more lean meat because I usually only do hard boiled eggs for Easter :).

This is a LONG list, but read it to see what you don't have to buy and you can replace things with stuff you usually buy or have.

  • Eggs
  • Lean lunch meat
  • whole wheat bread
  • Regular oats - for oatmeal. or the single packets of regular oatmeal - not flavored
  • Fresh veggies: carrots, celery, cucumbers, green peppers, onions, broccoli, zuccini, green beans (you will eat a few of these each day so have a good variety to choose from in the frig)
  • Frozen veggies you measure and microwave (get the ones with broccoli, carrots, zuccini, cauli, or peppers - no corn
  • Fresh whole fruits as part of snacks- apples, oranges, nectarines, peaches, banana (only eating 1/2 at a time) and tomatoes
  • Cantalope
  • Lowfat Cottage cheese
  • Fat free or lowfat Plain yogurt
  • Tuna canned in water
  • Chicken breasts - boneless skinless (Along with raw ones, I get precooked ones too, slice them up, heat in micro, fast and easy)
  • Salmon and Shrimp (not breaded)- if you don't usually buy fish - then just replace those meals with the Chicken breasts
  • Berries: blueberries, strawberries, rasberries (if a meal calls for a certain kind of berry, you can replace it with whatever berry you want, just slice up the strawberries to measure, or eyeball it. Also if you don't buy berries, you can cut up a peach or nectarine to replace it, which is also very delicious
  • Whole grain pitas or whole grain english muffins
  • Brown rice (I use the brown Minute rice)
  • A couple small potatoes - (I usually never buy potatoes so I replace it with a 1/2 cup steamed veggies)
  • Raw or unseasoned almonds, walnuts, pistachios (these can be salted - with shells)
  • Dark green lettuce, spinach leaves, mixed greens. (any of these will work for the salads)
  • Turkey burger, Boca burgers, or Garden/Veggie burgers (the first two choices have the most protein. (Walmart sells cheap Jenny-o ground turkey)
  • Lean top round roast (once again, if you are cooking for one or two, you probably don't buy roasts - I have 4 of us and still don't cook roasts - so I replace this with 4 oz of chicken breast)
  • Hummus and Nut butter (again, if you don't buy nut butter or hummus or make it, then just use mustard on sandwiches, or dip your veggies in 1 tsp of peanut butter, or fruit in plain yogurt
  • Raisins, craisins (just scratch these if you never buy them, but they do kick up the salad or oatmeal a little)
  • Popcorn with no butter (I didn't own a air-popper until recently, so I chose something else for a snack instead of the popcorn)
  • Skim milk and/or soy milk (I use both)

I think that is about it. If you have these things in your frig and cupboard, you can make all of the meals on the list. Also, keep it simple - just buy things that are in your budget. Berries can be expensive, so cut up a whole fruit instead. Also, replace fish with chicken. Protein bars can be pricey, but they are a fast grab (a box of 5 is about $6), too pricey? so make sure you have whole fruits and almonds to grab on the go.

If you have questions please post a comment and ask away!

By the way - how is everyone doing??? Day three! This day is always the hardest for me. Once I get past day 5 I am doing better!!! Hang in there! Its only 10 days - just give 100% one time and you won't have to start over :)

Scott is doing it too!! He is doing so well so far. I feel like he is stronger than I am. He said "tell me what to make, and eat, and what time of day and I will do it."

Both of us get so hungry at night before bed! We drink water, chew gum and drink herbal tea. Yeah, it helps for about 5 minutes :) Good luck every one - you CAN do it!

love love love! Have a heal-thy day!

6 comments:

Bash's said...

Steve and I are doing great! The food restrictions aren't bad at all. I've never really felt hungry (except at bedtime- nights are so hard!)
Exercise is proving to be hard, that's what I was the most worried about. But, I walked with the kids for an hour today (carrying Jade for 1/2 of of it).
But, overall, we're doing good. I definitely feel better.
Thanks for the grocery list!

Bash's said...

Oh, by the way, black coffee isn't as bad as I thought it would be! I've been using whole wheat, fat free tortillas for my sandwiches. They are yummy!
Hey, I do have one question....
I take an Omega 3-6-9 blend every day (as part of my normal supplements) it has 160 calories!!!! Should I count these and cut back on my snacks, or not count those calories????

Alisha K said...

I have been doing really good! I am so glad (and a little surprised). I am the opposite of Jayci, working out no problem. But the food is the hardest. I get so bored at work, and then all I can think of is food, especially gross, disgusting sweets :). But I am still doing well. I also feel really good, my system is feeling cleaner, if that makes any sense.

I love that we are doing this! Sexy in 09!!!! ;)

Thanks Ame for setting it all up, you are the woman!

Alisha

Amy and The Mack Pack said...

OH OH OH!!! I LOVE IT!!! You guys are SO AWESOME!!! YOU are so motivating for me right now!!! I love hearing that its a success for you so far!!! I love that you are feeling good! And YES - different parts of it are hard for different people! For me it mostly the food thing - I LOVE food and I struggle when I am at work too! But I hold strong!!!
Great suggestion with the tortilla's Jayce!
Also - For me - I never count my suppliments into my calories. The vitamins I take each day add up to about 150 calories. If I did I would starve ;) ;)
Keep up the GREAT work! I am so proud of you guys!!! Share more! I love hearing it! Its so motivating!
PS. I had 5 pretzels (which are not even on the eating list) tonight about an hour after I ate dinner! AAHH! I was weak! Your words have motivated me to GIVE 100%! I am only cheating myself - huh! Anyways - thanks and great job!!! love love love

Marie {Make and Takes} said...

Okay, so, I've done really really well, but then last night went 500 over and didn't exercise. So I'm back on today, working out this morning.

But good news is that Since our Family contest, I've lost 8 pounds and have actually fit into my next size down jeans. YAY. So I'm happy that if I keep it up, in 2 more months, I could maybe hit a pant size I've never worn before! AHHH, YAY.

You're awesome Amy. I'm happy to know someone's out there pushing me along.

Amy and The Mack Pack said...

Great JOB everyone! I am so excited for all of you!!!